When a bridge collapses, how do you save lives?
A bridge collapse in Cofferdam, New South Wales, last month left a family of four dead.
The man who was responsible for the bridge collapse is the only person still alive.
The four people who died were aged between 41 and 63 years old.
One of the victims was a man who worked on the bridge.
Police say he was the driver of the vehicle that crashed into the bridge before the driver managed to escape.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau says the driver may be charged with murder.
The NSW Police Force has been investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident.
“The bridge collapse was an accident that occurred within the span of a single day and we are confident the driver will be charged,” said NSW Police Assistant Commissioner Tim Stokes.
The ABC’s Katherine Davies says there’s a lot of people in the community who are really concerned about the safety of this area and the impact it will have on the community.
“It’s a massive hole in the ground, it’s a huge area, it means a lot for people to live in, it could be a major disaster for the community, but we’ll see what happens from here.”
The NSW Government has released a statement saying it is committed to finding the driver responsible for this terrible tragedy.
“Safety is a priority for NSW Government,” the statement said.
The ABC has asked the NSW Government for more information about the investigation into the collapse of the Cofferdamm Bridge. “
In the immediate aftermath of this tragedy, we are conducting a full review of the bridge to identify the most appropriate actions and measures to protect people and the infrastructure.”
The ABC has asked the NSW Government for more information about the investigation into the collapse of the Cofferdamm Bridge.
You can hear the full interview with Katherine Davies on RN Breakfast on Monday 10 May at 10:30am.